Wyntoon, Dunsmuir, Siskiyou County, California, 1902-1933
Julia Morgan and Bernard Maybeck, architects
In 1931, William Randolph Hearst asked Oakland architect Julia Morgan to travel to Europe to sketch Bavarian buildings. When she returned, she designed three Fairy Tale-style buildings for Hearst’s 50,000-acre estate on the McCloud River of Northern California. Hidden within a forest, Wyntoon is still owned by the Hearst family and is not accessible to the public. Adventurous kayakers sometimes venture up the rapids to glimpse the estate from the shallow, rocky river.
- Cinderella House, Julia Morgan, 1933
- Bear House and Cinderella House, Julia Morgan, 1933
- Fairy House, Julia Morgan, 1933. Fairy tale murals designed by Hungarian illustrator Willy Pogany.
- River House, Julia Morgan, n.d.
- Rhineland-style Castle, Bernard Maybeck and Julia Morgan, 1902. Burned in 1929, and replaced by the Bavarian-style houses above.