Cliff House, San Francisco, California, USA
Built by Adolph Sutro, 1896; burned 1907
Cliff House was an 8-story Victorian Chateau perched directly on the Pacific bluffs at Ocean Beach in San Francisco. The “pleasure palace” was never a hotel, but it contained over 20 dining rooms, multiple dance parlors, a museum, and an observation tower 200 feet above sea level. Despite surviving the 1906 San Francisco Earthquake, the Cliff House lasted only 11 years; it burned to the ground in 1907.